The origin of the Archivio Centrale dello Stato dates back to 1875 when, by the Royal Decree of 25 May n. 2552,the Kingdom’s Archives were founded for the purpose of keeping those records deriving from central ministries that were no longer required for ordinary business, as well as the original copies of decrees and laws, the vital records of the Casa Savoia (the Italian royal family) and the heraldry register.
However, the Kingdom’s Archives remained for a long time without full autonomy: its headquarters, file management and administration were shared with the Archivio di Stato di Roma.
This situation remained until shortly after World War II, when the need was felt for a different organization of the institute and for its relocation to a separate and autonomous site. The decision also depended on the need of finding an adequate location for the archives of the central administrations that had been moved to the North of Italy during the Repubblica Sociale Italiana and had then been recovered at the end of the war.
The institute’s full autonomy was ratified in 1953 with the law of 13 Apriln. 340. The new name of Archivio Centrale dello Stato was made official and it was separated from the Archivio di Stato di Roma; the highest ranked senior officer of the archival administration was made director of the Institute.
Consequently, the long-standing issue of the site was solved by the choice of the monumental building located in the Roman district of EUR which was to have hosted the corporations exposition in the Esposizione Universale Roma (Universal Exposition of Rome).
The relocation to the new site was carried out in 1960.
In 2008 the Archivio Centrale dello Stato gained special autonomy as an institute related to theMinistry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, and obtained scientific, financial, organizational and accounting independence.