The Archivio Centrale dello Stato building is a monumental construction designed by the architects De Renzi, Figini and Pollini, originally intended as the site of the exhibition on autarchy, corporatism and social welfare for the1942 Universal Exhibition.
The building foundations and load bearing structures were built before the war and completed in the fifties on the initiative of Virgilio Testa, extraordinary commissioner of the EUR Organisation. The necessary modifications were made to adapt the building to the Institute’s requirements.
In the nineties, the internal spaces were redesigned: new rooms destined for the general public (entrance, reading room, library and conference room), designed by the architect, Giulio Savio, were inaugurated on the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Archivio centrale dello Stato. The rooms, enhanced by the paintings and sculptures by Angelo Cucciarelli, Piero D’Orazio, Carlo Lorenzetti and Paolo Pasticci, have seen additional donations from other artists in recent years to form the nucleus of a small, but significant museum.
Bibliography: Archivio centrale dello Stato 1953-1993, edited by Mario Serio, Ministry for Cultural and Environmental Heritage – Central office for archival property 1993 (Publication of the State Archives, Saggi 27)